talkstohats: (Default)
[personal profile] talkstohats
What's the worst thing someone could do?
I suppose to murder someone. You can't exactly take it back.

What's the worst thing someone could do to you?
I don't know, but I expect whatever it is I'd somehow manage to make it worse myself.

Turning me old was up there, I'll grant you. But at least all my parts are still attached.

What's the worst thing that could happen to you?
The way my luck's been going, as soon as I answer that it will. So I'm not going to.

What's the worst thing someone could say about a person?
. . . anything that they don't want to be true, I think. The trouble is that things that are said about people have an awkward way of coming true, in a certain way, whether they were at first or not.

What's the best thing someone could say about a person?
There are lots of nice that can be said about someone. It's hard to pick the best. That they're kind, I suppose, and helpful. And capable.

Of course, it doesn't much matter unless the person who's saying it really means it.

Are men and women basically different?
I should think so.

Which is better, to be a woman or to be a man?
I suppose it depends how old you are. When you're young it's likely much easier to be a man, in terms of being able to do things, but when you're old it doesn't seem to make that much difference.

What can men do that women can't do?
Oh - fight in wars, things like that.

What can women do that men can't do?
Have children, for a start. And I think people listen more to women than men, sometimes, in terms of - well, practical advice.

Is it possible to change genders?
If it's possible to change your age, I don't see why not. I'm not sure anything's impossible anymore.

How old is old enough to have sex?
Oh - lord. I suppose fifteen or sixteen is old enough to be married. Fourteen does seem quite young.

Is it wrong to have sex if you're unmarried?
Well, yes. Though I expect some people might have a different answer.

(Note: The young Sophie would have turned bright red at this and muttered an incomprehensible 'yes'.)

Is it wrong to have sex with someone other than your spouse if you're married?
If you're going to be - going about with other people, there doesn't seem much point to getting married, does there?

Is it wrong to have sex with a person of the same gender?
. . . is it possible? Drat it - I suppose I just said that nothing's impossible, but . . . it doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense.

Is it wrong to have sex with a person of a different race (or a different intelligent non-human species)?
If you love someone, I don't see why you shouldn't marry them - even if they do look a bit different.

Is it wrong to have more than one sexual partner at the same time?
At one time?

(Note: This question would have reduced the young Sophie into complete embarrassed incomprehensibility. Old Sophie is pretty near it.)

Is it wrong to have sex with someone you don't love?
Yes. It's - it's cruel, to them.

What are the responsibilities of a mother toward a child?
To love the child, and raise him or her, and when they grow up see that they're placed somewhere that will lead to a life that will suit them.

Although . . . I suppose it's important to listen to what they want, as well.

What are the responsibilities of a father toward a child?
To love the child and - well, the same thing really. Oh, and provide for them, as well.

What are the responsibilities of a child toward a parent?
To love and to honor them, and help them as much as you can, and, er, to trust that they have your best interests at heart.

Which should be more important to you, your parent or your child?
Your child needs more care - but you ought not to forget about your parents just because you've a family of your own, either.

Which should be more important to you, your parent or your spouse?
I - why should one have to be more important? Can't you love them both?

Which should be more important to you, your child or your spouse?
You ought to take care of both of them. That's why you're a family.

Is it wrong to have a child if you're unmarried?
Of course. How could you care for them properly without a home of your own? It's hard enough for a widow or widower.

Is abortion wrong?
I don't know what this word is.

Is contraception wrong?
Nor this one. I'm sorry.

Is there one true religion?
Er. I don't know much about that - we're not very religious, in Ingary.

Does a deity or deities exist?
Apparently, yes.

How important is it to believe in a deity or deities?
If they exist, they exist. I don't suppose it's a very good idea to get on their bad side, though.

How important is it to actively practice your religion?
It's never been one of my concerns. I've enough to worry about.

Does magic exist?
Of course it does.

Is practicing magic wrong?
Goodness, I hope not. Er - if you do it thoughtlessly, it can be. Or to hurt people - but then, so is everything when you use it like that.

Is killing always wrong?
Sometimes it's something that needs to be done.

Is war always wrong?
I think the King knows what he's doing.

(Note: She doesn't sound very sure of this, really, at all.)

How old is old enough to fight in a war?
Sixt-maybe eighteen. Twenty? Michael would be terribly young, in a war.

Is rape always wrong?
I - yes!

Is torture always wrong?
Of course it is.

Is theft always wrong?
. . . sometimes, I suppose, there are valid reasons for it.

Is slavery wrong?
Of course.

Is lying wrong?
Sometimes it's for people's own good. Or you don't have much of a choice.

Is swearing wrong?
Well, there are much worse things you could do.

Date: 2007-01-19 12:40 am (UTC)
wizard_howell: (pensive over breakfast)
From: [personal profile] wizard_howell
What's the worst thing someone could do?
Give away what's most important to them in a moment of weakness.

What's the worst thing someone could do to you?
Take the magic out of me.

What's the worst thing that could happen to you?
Be stuck living with Megan.

What's the worst thing someone could say about a person?
I suppose they could publicly blurt out one of those uncomfortable truths a person would rather keep private.

What's the best thing someone could say about a person?
That they're the best at what they do.

Are men and women basically different?
Clearly.

Which is better, to be a woman or to be a man?
Having never been a woman, I can't really answer that question. Changing species is one thing, but gender? I've never met the witch or wizard capable of that.

What can men do that women can't do?
Look at things unemotionally.

What can women do that men can't do?
Clean things to within an inch of their lives. They also have a tendency to read between the lines so much more... frequently.

Is it possible to change genders?
Not that I know of.

How old is old enough to have sex?
Isn't the real question how young is too young to have sex? Physiologically, it varies. From an emotional perspective, I'd have to say whenever one is old enough to take responsibility for his or her actions, and old enough emotionally to deal with the fallout from it.

Is it wrong to have sex if you're unmarried?
I can't possibly see why, so long as both people are willing.

Is it wrong to have sex with someone other than your spouse if you're married?
What's the point in marrying someone if you'd rather be gadding about with others?

Is it wrong to have sex with a person of the same gender?
Why? If both people want to...

Is it wrong to have sex with a person of a different race (or a different intelligent non-human species)?
This is giving me ideas. Where does one find such intelligent non-human species?

Honestly, though, I would suppose this is a case where like attracts like. Having been different species, I can't say I've ever been attracted sexually to anyone out-of-species. But it's easy to be philosophical about this one. The answer for the greater good has to be: wrong? No. Distasteful? Perhaps.

Is it wrong to have more than one sexual partner at the same time?
If you're in a committed relationship, then yes. Otherwise, why?

Is it wrong to have sex with someone you don't love?
Wrong? Only if you're using the act of sex to misleading the other person into thinking you love them or want more from the relationship. I do have some scruples.

What are the responsibilities of a mother toward a child?
To provide and nurture, to love.

What are the responsibilities of a father toward a child?
To protect, teach, love, and see to the child's well-being... and to do what's best for the child and the child's mother.

What are the responsibilities of a child toward a parent?
To be as demanding as possible and learn from them.

Date: 2007-01-19 12:41 am (UTC)
wizard_howell: (tea anyone?)
From: [personal profile] wizard_howell
Which should be more important to you, your parent or your child?
Having neither at the moment, I can hardly answer that question.

Which should be more important to you, your parent or your spouse?
Since you actually choose your spouse... that seems to be the crux of the matter right there.

Which should be more important to you, your child or your spouse?
This can't possibly be a question of importance, can it?

Is it wrong to have a child if you're unmarried?
Let me just say I wouldn't choose to do that, but if someone else did, I doubt I'd judge them.

Is abortion wrong?
It wouldn't have been in my parents' case with my sister...

Is contraception wrong?
Hardly. In fact, it's one of mankind's best inventions.

Is there one true religion?
Oh, I sincerely doubt that. Remember, you're talking to one who first studied philosophy before moving on to a doctorate in Spells and Charms.

Does a deity or deities exist?
If people believe in deity, then they exist.

How important is it to believe in a deity or deities?
If it gives a person's life focus and makes it better to believe in a deity or deities, then it's critically important. If not, then it's irrelevant.

How important is it to actively practice your religion?
I have other things to spend my time on, thank you.

Does magic exist?
Is there any doubt?

Is practicing magic wrong?
There's nothing wrong with practicing. It's how people learn.

Is killing always wrong?
Unless it's in self-defence, I think so.

Is war always wrong?
I don't know if it's always wrong, but it's always complicated.

How old is old enough to fight in a war?
Once a man is old enough to feel that his convictions are worthy dying for, he's old enough to fight in a war.

Is rape always wrong?
Always.

Is torture always wrong?
Yes.

Is theft always wrong?
It's wrong, unless one steals from oneself, but sometimes it's necessary.

Is slavery wrong?
Always.

Is lying wrong?
That's a bit more of a grey area. Sometimes, it's necessary and sometimes, it's kinder than telling the truth.

Is swearing wrong?
Hardly.

Profile

talkstohats: (Default)
talkstohats

January 2010

S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17 181920212223
24252627282930
31      

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 16th, 2026 01:55 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios